ITHACA, N.Y. — No. 14 Wisconsin (2-1, 0-0 Big Ten) faces another tough test as the Badgers travel to No. 9 Cornell (0-0, 0-0 EIWA) to wrestle Big Red at the Friedman Wrestling Center in Ithaca, New York on Saturday, Nov. 19 at Noon CT.
Don’t miss head coach Chris Bono‘s latest Jump Around weekly update video:
Here are five things to know as the Badgers take the mat:
1. LAST TIME ON THE MAT: Wisconsin opened the season at the Battle in the River City in Jacksonville, Florida with three duals. Held in the hometown of head coach Chris Bono, then-ranked No. 9 UW finished the weekend 2-1 overall after a 35-3 victory against Chattanooga, 31-6 win against Buffalo and a 26-6 loss to No. 14 Iowa State. Read the full recap.
2. LAST TIME VS. BIG RED: Splitting their bouts 5-5, Wisconsin claimed a tight 19-16 victory against Cornell on Feb. 20 at the UW Field House in Madison. Dean Hamiti led the Badgers with a pin in 3:16 over No. 9 Julian Ramirez. Read the full recap here.
3. OLYMPIC JOURNEY: Redshirt senior Austin Gomez has begun his journey towards a possible Olympic roster spot for Mexico. Gomez spent his off weekend on Saturday, Nov. 12 in Mexico City and won the 2022 Mexico All Star Grand Prix title in the senior 70 kilogram men’s senior freestyle bracket. He defeated former Olympian Agustin Destribiats with a 14-4 tech fall for the title. He now is in excellent contention for a roster spot on the Mexico World Team for the World Championships next summer.
4. SCOUTING BIG RED: This will be Cornell’s first dual of the 2022-23 season. From Cornell’s preview: A pair of potential top 10 matchups could be on the slate, as three-time NCAA champion Yianni Diakomihalis is expected to wrestle third-ranked Austin Gomez at 149 pounds, while the Badgers’ fifth-ranked Dean Hamiti will match up with No. 8 Julian Ramirez at 165. In all, six of the 10 matchups could be between ranked grapplers on Saturday.
5. LINEUPS: Here are the probables for Wisconsin and Cornell: